Christ is the world's true Light
1. Christ is the world's true Light, its Captain of salvation,
the Daystar clear and bright of every race and nation;
new life, new hope awakes, for all who own his sway:
freedom her bondage breaks, and night is turned to day.
2. In Christ all races meet, their ancient feuds forgetting,
the whole round world complete, from sunrise to its setting:
when Christ is throned as Lord all shall forsake their fear,
to plough-share beat the sword, to pruning-hook the spear.
3. One Lord, in one great Name unite us all who own thee;
cast out our pride and shame that hinder to enthrone thee;
the world has waited long, has travailed long in pain;
to heal its ancient wrong, come, Prince of Peace, and reign.
Humbly I adore thee
1. Humbly I adore thee, Verity unseen,
who thy glory hides 'neath these shadows means;
lo, to thee surrendered, my whole heart is bowed,
tranced as it beholds thee, shrined within the cloud.
2. Taste and such and vision to discern thee fail;
faith, that comes by hearing, pierces through the veil.
I believe whatever the Son of God hath told;
what the Truth hath spoken, that for truth I hold.
3. O memorial wondrous of the Lord's own death;
living Bread that gives all thy creatures breath,
grant my spirit ever by thy life may live,
to my taste thy sweetness never failing give.
4. Jesus, whom now hidden, I by faith behold,
what my soul doth long for, that thy word foretold:
face to face thy splendor, I at last shall see,
in the glorious vision, blessed Lord, of thee.