St. Timothy’s is located at the corner of Calhoun and Lincoln Streets within the historic Arsenal Hill District. Since the Governor’s Mansion is across the street, the church has often been called the “church of the governors.” Indeed, many of the governors of the state attend services at the church while in office.
St. Timothy’s was established by the Church of the Good Shepherd in Columbia in 1892 to provide a Sunday School for children in the Arsenal Hill area. St. Timothy’s Guild was formed in 1894 to further the work of the mission by forming an Industrial School to teach the area children sewing and church music. The present Gothic-style sanctuary was completed in 1913. In 1943 St Timothy’s became a parish and the church building was consecrated in 1944. After the Parish House burned a new building was built and dedicated in 1950. Improvements in both the buildings and the grounds have been continuous.
Features of the Building and Grounds
The church sanctuary features imported stained glass windows. A tour of the windows is available here.
Bennett Hall, the Parish Hall, features a stained glass window over the French Doors to the Seay Garden. Around the Church are two gardens. The Seay Garden, named for longtime member Mrs. Edna Cannon Seay, has small raised gardens along the entryway to the Parish Hall from Lincoln St. It features a statue of St. Francis of Assisi and a bench for meditation. The Beckham Garden on Calhoun St. was dedicated in 2006 in honor of Bishop William A. Beckham of South Carolina. With fountain, benches and beautiful plantings, it provides a sanctuary for prayer and meditation.
The Beckham Garden won the Columbia’s Choice Award in 2008 for Reclamation / Reuse of the Land which has made it a place of sanctuary and beauty in the midst of the busy downtown area.